- sometimes expensive
I have finally completed a few new pieces and they have each, in its own way, ticked all the boxes above.
The second piece is STAX, also inspired by Bridget Riley. It is built of 3-dimensional modules, mounted on a lovely walnut frame. Had to use my non-existent upholstery skills to make these modules! However, my old bookbinding skills came into use: I built the forms from book binder's board, sewed the half tubes and then stretched and upholstered using a curved coptic stitch needle! And then I did woodworking! 13.5" x 47"
This crazy mixed media piece started as Bridget Riley stripes, a color study gone awry. The colors lay dull and flat on the rich fabric. But after hours of stitching, I could not quite throw it away. It hung around for quite awhile, indicting me not only on my color/thread failures... but also asking what might be next.
Meanwhile, STAX was in process. Digital embroidery is always backed with a variety of stabilizers to support good stitch outs. Think: Pellon or INTERFACING if you sew. Some stabilizer can be torn off the design when it is done. In making the modules for STAX, I tore away a series of near perfect stencils;-) So, I used them to block out new areas of color on this piece and continued with oil pastels and pastel pencils. It has no title yet, but I do love it. It has mysterious sense of depth.
The next pieces in the queue are very complex...or at least LARGE. There is a lot of sweat equity ahead before there is much to show on the embroidery front.